BS 10008 is entitled ‘Evidential weight and legal admissibility of electronic information specification ‘ and specifies what is required in order to implement and operate an electronic information management system. The standard is based on BIP 0008 which was designed to deal with issues relating to the integrity and authenticity of information stored electronically.
What issues are covered in BS 10008?
The contents of the standard include:
- the availability and accessibility of information
- the use of document management
- the management of quality issues related to document scanning processes
- the provision of a full audit trail for the life of a piece of electronic information
- the electronic transfer of information from one computer system to another
- copyright management
- system maintenance
BS 1008 can be applied to any corporate body irrespective of its size or the nature of its business and is of particular relevance to records managers, compliance officers, business managers and local government departments.
Further information on BS 10008:2008 can be found at http://www.bsi-global.com/Shop/Publication-Detail/?pid=000000000030172973#1
For advice and guidance on electronic document management please call IPC on freephone 08081 45 46 47